1932 - Early in 1932, Alfred Fellows Masury, Mack's Chief Engineer, was admitted to the hospital for an operation. Masury was one of those individuals who wasn't used to his hands being idle for any period of time. During his recuperation in the hospital, Masury decided to carve a bulldog. (Some rumors indicate that he carved the first bulldog from a bar of soap; other rumors indicate the first was carved from wood.)
Whether the first bulldog hood ornament was soap or wood, we do know that shortly after his release from the hospital, he did in fact carve a bulldog in wood.
Masury applied for and received a patent for his design; that Bulldog design has adorned nearly every Mack truck ever since!
1936 - The name of the International Motor Company is changed to the Mack Manufacturing Corporation.
The Mack E series, introduced in 1936, were streamlined, medium-duty trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings ranging up to 23,000 lbs. The E models were available in both conventional and cab-over-engine configurations and proved themselves among the most versatile products ever offered by Mack. Over 78,000 were produced through 1951.
Mack was one of the first truck manufacturers to apply four-wheel brakes to heavy-duty trucks, increasing braking ability and safety, particularly with heavier loads. In 1938, Mack became the first truck manufacturer to design and build its own heavy-duty diesel engines, establishing the tradition of "balanced design" that continues today.